You can enjoy peace of mind knowing your money is safe when you press CHQ or SAV to pay using eftpos. Why is eftpos so safe?
- PIN-based systems are less vulnerable to fraud than signature-based systems. eftpos has one of the lowest fraud rates in the world, much lower than credit cards.
- All eftpos terminals must comply with rigorous security standards to ensure they protect your PIN.
- Unlike credit cards and other debit card systems, eftpos transactions are in real time, so you can check your account within minutes and be sure that the transaction is accurately reflected in your account balance.
Protecting you against unauthorised transactions
While it is your PIN that makes eftpos so secure, you still need to safeguard both your PIN and your card from the risk of loss, theft or unauthorised use.
It is a good idea to change your PIN regularly. If you notice any unusual transactions on your account or believe your PIN has been compromised, or if your card is lost or stolen, notify your bank immediately.
eftpos Cardholders are also protected from unauthorised transactions under the ePayments Code. The financial institution that issued your eftpos card must compensate you for any unauthorised transactions so long as you:
- Safeguard your PIN and don’t disclose it to anyone else or keep a record of it,
- Report the loss or theft of your card or unauthorised transactions as soon as you become aware of them, and
- Don’t contribute to your loss.
More information on the ePayments Code and its protections can be found at www.asic.gov.au.